Monday, July 17, 2017

Mobile Game Project: Postponed Indefinitely



Remember when I told you that there were good things being developed on my end? Remember that mobile game project that I promised would get finished this year? That cartoony platformer/fighting hybrid of a game where a boxing kangaroo goes around punching down enemies and fights a boss in the style of a boxing match?

I am sad to report that this project has pretty much been postponed indefinitely.

It shouldn't come across as all that shocking to my blog readers. Many times this has happened to projects that were initially ambitious and filled with optimism. I'm sure you can name at least a dozen game projects that you were excited to see get completed... only to see those projects get shelved, left to gather dust for who knows how long.

The sad thing about this is that I was ready to go ahead and help put the finishing touches on this project. I was ready to get back to work in early 2017 (Spring time and on, at least) and finish what I had set out to do. It seemed like all the puzzle pieces were in place for me and my team to finish this. I generally had a good feeling about where this project was headed. I generally enjoyed working with my two teammates on this project and I felt like we developed the kind of working relationship we needed to get some things done.

What happened? One of my teammates not only bailed on this project, but he left the game dev team altogether. Reportedly he wanted to pursue other interests. This means that this project was left hanging out to dry. This former teammate left the team in early 2017.

How do I feel about this? I'll be honest. I'm not happy. I'm not happy about how all this spiraled down into what it is now. It's an unfinished project that hasn't been worked on since August 2016. Generally speaking I don't like leaving anything unfinished. Whether it's a success or a failure I want to see something through the whole way. There has been talk between myself and my other teammate about putting this mobile game onto a different engine and having an art revamp.

Being in No Man's Land for game development isn't a good feeling, so where do I go from here? Until my other teammate and I can agree on a time when we can restart this project, in the meantime I may have to start all over with a different project and work with other game devs. Unless I receive other forms of help for this project, I don't see what else I can do at this point.

Let this be a lesson for any aspiring game dev out there who wants to get a mobile game project made; expect this to happen often in your game-making career. You may love to make games, but be prepared to get knocked down by unforeseen real life circumstances. Don't let this discourage you, but don't turn a blind eye to this neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment