Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Arms and Splatoon 2 Direct Thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWlRJ-wmiA

A recent Nintendo Direct was held to show off a couple of new releases that are coming to the Switch console, and I have to say that both of the games that were shown in this Direct have my attention. For a variety of reasons I appreciate creativity when I see it, and I definitely see it in these two games.

Arms and Splatoon 2 are the games I'm talking about, and while some gamers will have their reservations, I believe that these games are going to do just fine selling enough copies on the market. I believe Nintendo has 2 surefire winners in the Video Game Market with these games. When it comes to Arms, yes, it's an unproven commodity. We don't really know what to expect with Arms because no one has been able to play a game even remotely similar to Arms before, but from what I saw in the intro trailer here in Direct, I wouldn't be surprised if this game became a smash hit. (pardon the fighting genre pun)

When I think of Arms right now, I'm thinking about a mixture of the following; Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, Street Fighter and that old Nintendo 64 game BattleTanx. For those of you who played BattleTanx before, you would know why I made that comparison. There are "explosive" elements to Arms considering what the characters will have to use in their arsenal. The Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots comparison is obvious because of the stretching punches and the namesake of the game's title. The fighting environment of Arms gives me the vibe of a Street Fighter game. Combine all that together and you get a good overall vibe.

We were briefly shown Splatoon 2, but even with the little that we got from this game's intro trailer, it's obvious that gamers are going to flock to this game and play the heck out of it. The original Splatoon had immense replay value because of the online multiplayer feature, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Splatoon 2's online multiplayer gets the same kind of traction, if not better traction. There are new maps to play in Splatoon 2 (or maybe Spla2oon?), and there are new features in customizing your character. If you happen to like Splatoon's Story Mode, which honestly I don't really care about, then you will get a new wrinkle or two in that part of the Splatoon experience too.

If there's one thing about Nintendo games that I have always come to respect would be their marketing strategies. How they get their products out there for the demo reveal is most of the time enough to convince gamers to buy the games, and the reason for this is because these trailer videos, such as the ones I just mentioned, have a way of luring you into what they're trying to sell. Over the last few decades Nintendo has obviously gotten good in this department.

No comments:

Post a Comment