Sunday, January 15, 2017

First Thoughts on the Nintendo Switch


Video by PKSparkxx

In case you missed it, Nintendo officially revealed their special project that was formerly named the 'NX". The Nintendo Switch was revealed in Tokyo, Japan and a few video presentations were held showcasing what the Switch can do, what it features and how players can enjoy playing with the Switch.

The above video made by PKSparkxx shows PK's personal reactions to what was presented. Among the things shown off were Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and the first look into Super Mario Odyssey, a brand new 3D sandbox style adventure that takes gamers back to the times of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. The last one, Super Mario Odyssey, came as a total shock to most gamers as there weren't many hints at Nintendo making a brand new 3D adventure for Mario.

Taking into account past console generations, Nintendo made the Switch to be some sort of hybrid of their past consoles. You clearly get inspirations of the Wii and Wii U, but you will also get a sense of Nintendo paying tribute to the 64 and the DS handheld console. It clearly will be a new way for gamers to play, a new challenge for gamers to take on. The creativity department has always been a strength of Nintendo, and I have known this for some time.

The initial price of the Nintendo Switch will come at the cost of $299.99 if you happen to live in the United States. In Japan you will have to pay around 30,000 Yen in order to get a Switch. This price could have been worse, honestly. I would expect the price to drop within 1 year after its official release on March 3 anyway, so I really wouldn't worry about the price.

As my blog readers know, I have been critical of Nintendo's business decisions in recent times. I have even called some of their works "draconian", which I still stand firm by. In the world of business, no matter how much you support a company, you simply can't give them a pass 24/7 just because you like their stuff. If you believe something is wrong and needs to be called out, you call it out. So with that said I still believe Nintendo is very short-sighted when it comes to YouTube members uploading Nintendo-related content and are intentionally trying to stunt the growth of creativity in YouTube communities. This is wrong and there's nothing anyone can tell me to believe otherwise.

Now back to the Switch, I actually do like the console design. This design does remind me of the "good side" of Nintendo, especially regarding their creativity. Their lineup of games reminds me of what they tried to do back in the times of the 64 and Gamecube. I got that feeling, at least. I wasn't blown away by any of the new games I saw, though I can cautiously say that I'm optimistic about some of these games.

Arms was very interesting. A brawling game featuring mech robots that have super stretchy arms gave me the idea that the game devs were inspired by the old Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot toys. I got a chuckle out of seeing that preview. I look forward to see what more Arms can bring.

Splatoon 2 should make big waves in popularity considering how well the original Splatoon fared. There have been a few more additions to gameplay and stylistically the game devs have made more additions as well. When it comes to the "e-Sports" (I still don't like that term) aspect of this, it wouldn't surprise me if Splatoon grows big enough to hold their own tournaments and competitions. Splatoon is a sure money-making game franchise.

Super Mario Odyssey... I think I will leave it to PK in his video above to give you the reactions to that. Now for me personally I'm not sure if I'm going to get Super Mario Odyssey, but I will go out and say right now that this game is going to sell like hotcakes within its first week of being released. If I wrong about that guess, then I'll be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment