Sunday, August 16, 2015

Birthday Video Games (Steven Turns 26)

My imaginary birthday cake for turning 26! Yay!
I was born on August 16, 1989 and throughout my 26 years of living in this world I have seen many things come and go. As a gamer, I have seen gaming generations come and go. I have seen video game consoles come and go. One part of me growing up as a kid involved playing video games, and yes, say what you will about all the possible negatives that come with playing video games, but the fact of the matter is that I turned out just fine. I ended up finding my calling as a writer, and you know what? I believe playing video games played a small part in me realizing my writing talent.

Throughout my 26 years of life many video game consoles made their presence known. The NES, Sega's countless consoles, Atari's final attempts of making consoles, a 3DO console, a Jaguar, Sony Playstation 1,2,3 and 4, Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One... and handhelds like the crappy Nokia N-Gage and all the Tiger Electronic handhelds which never had any value whatsoever. There were good handhelds too, such as the original GameBoy, the GameBoy Advance, the GameBoy DS and 3DS, and the New Nintendo 3DS. Sony had the Playstation Vita as its handheld console. Just recently we've been seeing mircoconsoles like the Ouya... which is a rather interesting story by itself for many reasons.

So yeah, I've seen many gaming developments in my 26 years of life so far. Now what else should I talk about in this post? Today is my 26th Birthday, so why don't I talk about video games that have the birthday theme attached to them? No, I don't include all the Mario games which involved the plot of Princess Peach baking a cake for Mario simply because Mario doesn't have multiple birthdays. For all we know, the cake must be a lie, right?

Remember The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout?


Happy Birthday Bugs! Now enjoy some technical difficulties!

Yeah, neither do I, and for good reason. This game was released on the NES in 1990 and it paved the way for a long, long road of crappy Crazy Castle style games. This game was so bad that it was even reviewed by a popular figure in video game reviewing... the Angry Video Game Nerd. I'm sure by now some of you have watched content made by the AVGN, so you would know how he feels about The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout.

The plot of this game was lacking, the controls were much too wonky, and the graphics were less than ideal. Just take a look at the picture above and you would get an idea of how well the visuals were implemented. There were plenty of parts in this game that were just too difficult for players to overcome, and if anyone did beat the game, it didn't feel rewarding. Simply put, gamers who wanted to celebrate their birthday in style in 1990 would be disappointed by a game like this one.


Steven Vitte's Birthday Video Game Idea

Now let's get to an idea of mine that I think could be interesting, but I guess that will depend on how my blog readers will view this. Considering how certain video games allow us to see their game worlds in different forms during the course of the year, I believe that creating a birthday video game that centers around the dates of the birthdays gamers and their friends have would be intriguing. 
Perhaps some will refer to the Animal Crossing series as being somewhat of an inspiration for this, but not too much. What I propose with my idea is that a video game be created where players will get to take in the experience of playing in a world where birthdays happen pretty much all the time. This game world could just be one big birthday cake, or it could be some sort of an amusement park that is decorated with birthday themes, or we could have this game world be something like a traveling circus, but with some tweaks to it.

Whenever a player gets to celebrate his or her birthday on a certain date, a huge event is held in this game world, and for this date, the "Birthday Player" gets to set up the rules for whatever mini-games, games or random contests are held. The Birthday Player in particular gets to design the game world 100% only for that date and can even submit certain things for his or her friends to enjoy, such as any special speeches, pump in a medley of tunes for other players to listen to, or can even create a custom mini-level for friends to explore through. However, the Birthday Player also has the option of allowing a friend of his or hers to run the show if he or she doesn't feel like running the show. 

I think this would be a cool social interacting tool to have in a game, but of course it would need some modifying first. Anyway, I would like to thank my readers who enjoy the content that I put out for the Gaming Journalist Gazette. I'm looking forward to going through another year worth of putting out gaming content on this blog, and I hope that my readers will stick along for the ride. Let's hope that year 26 of my life has some more memorable moments than year 25!

No comments:

Post a Comment