Monday, May 4, 2015

My Ouya Adventure - Part 1

Diagram of the Ouya game controller
So it's official. For a decent price of $81 I bought an Ouya game console. Normally an Ouya costs $99, which is the normal buying price, but thankfully with some wheeling and dealing, I got the price down a little bit. Specifically talking about the economics to start off, I believe I came away with a great steal of an acquisition. If I can make an analogy to the NFL Draft which just took place a few days ago, if there was an imaginary Video Game Draft, I would have made a great steal in picking the Ouya in the later rounds, so to speak.

As I mentioned before in my post "Why I Want to Get An Ouya", the Ouya isn't a super powerful console at all, and that's just fine by me. I didn't get the Ouya because I assumed it was powerful. I got the Ouya for its variety as it has an extensive library of games for me to choose from. Most of the games that you will play on the Ouya will basically be free demos, but rest assured, if you want to buy full games, you won't need to sacrifice an arm and a leg to play them.

Most of the full games that you can purchase go at a price of $2.99 (US) each, which is very manageable and reasonable in my honest opinion. If you have $3 to spare in your bank account (which I will touch on in a moment), then you wouldn't mind buying a full version of a game that you really want to play. In a matter of time, you will be playing plenty of full games that fit your needs and keep your attention as a gamer.

Of course, considering that this is my so-called "adventure" with the Ouya, I certainly had one right after I opened the box. I set up the Ouya game console correctly and it turned on right away. No problem there. However, I was stumped when the main menu was requiring me to sign in to my Wi-Fi connection. Now here's the funny thing. I'm far from being an expert on anything related to Wi-Fi, so it came across as completely foreign to me as to what the Ouya main menu was asking me to do. Eventually I figured out what it was; my computer connection box. For some time I was clueless about giving my Ouya a password that I thought I had written down, but really it was in front of my face the whole time. That's trial and error for you.

This is also the first time that I have acquired a gaming console that has a full-time wireless controller. The Sony Playstation 4, the other current generation console I own, features a wireless connection to its controller, but it's up to the gamer whether to play a game with or without an attaching wire. For the PS4 I play with the wire attached to the console, and I do that to maintain a habit I've gotten used to over the years. I have only briefly experimented using the PS4 controller in Wireless Mode.

I do find it very convenient that I can freely move around with a wireless controller because at certain points in my past gaming experiences, I felt restricted to just being in a certain space or else I would be pulling on the controller's wire that connected to the console. I will admit that the Ouya game controller is pretty cool in this respect.

Now how does the Ouya game controller feel? Good question. This has been a debated topic and I'm sure that by now you have watched countless YouTube videos of people playing the Ouya for the first time, sharing their own thoughts on its game controller. Okay, so it might come across as weird to pull off the silver sheets of the controller in order to put in a couple AA batteries, which was something I never had to do to any other game controllers I own, but here's the kicker.

I don't find anything horribly wrong with the feel of the Ouya game controller at all. I feel just comfortable enough playing with this controller. (See the diagram picture above)

Don't forget the batteries. They are included.
Soon I will discuss my actual gaming experience with the Ouya, which is at the core of why I bought this little cube console to begin with. I also find it very convenient that the Ouya is so small because you can place it in spots in your house where it will be isolated and protected by other items. The Ouya is a microconsole, so there won't be any huge hassle in storing it in places where you won't bump into it. I certainly can't wait to talk about this extensive library of games since this is one of the main selling points of the Ouya. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment